When it's cold outside and you have had a hard day, a stew or hot pot really makes you feel warm and loved. Plus when everything is cooked in one pan, there is less washing up too!
- 8 lamb cutlets
- 25g butter
- 2 onions
- 900g potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 large carrots
- 2 pints of lamb stock (or vegetable stock)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 170C / 325F / Gas Mark 3
- Find a large casserole or stew pot and place most (leave a little behind) of the butter in the pot and heat gently until it melts, add the lamb cutlets and brown on both sides.
- Once browned, add the chopped onion, carrots, stock and a little salt and pepper (to taste) and stir to gently combine.
- Layer the thinly sliced potatoes over the top of the meat and vegetables. Use a couple of layers of potatoes if you can to give a nice hearty hot pot.
- Brush over some of the butter you saved from earlier over the potatoes as this will give them a rich taste and golden colour when cooked. Also sprinkle a little more salt and pepper over the potatoes.
- Cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours, then remove the lid and cook uncovered for another 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, allow to rest for 10 minutes then serve.