Last week I shared my easy foolproof mayonnaise recipe and said how it was my youngest daughters favourite sauce. My eldest daughter however, loves BBQ sauce. Not just any BBQ sauce but rich, sweet BBQ sauce that has a spiciness and a smokiness to it. She slathers it on everything and when I make my homemade barbecue sauce using my recipe below, she will literally find stuff to dip in to it as it is cooling down! If you want a BBQ sauce that you can use as a condiment, as a sauce, as a dip or even as a marinade and that is full of flavour yet easy to make, then take a look at my very special recipe :)
- 500g tomato ketchup (1 1/2 cups)
- 250g dark brown soft sugar (1 cup)
- 160g clear honey (1/4 cup)
- 110ml cider vinegar (1/4 cup)
- 110ml water (1/4 cup)
- 15ml Worcester sauce (1 tablespoon but add more if desired)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (make sure it is the smoked one!)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoo ground black pepper
Optional to thicken if required
- 55ml water (1/8 cup)
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- You will not believe how easy this is ;) Add everything to a saucepan apart from the optional water and cornflour.
- Mix and bring to the boil whilst stirring. Bring down to a simmer and cook whilst stirring for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and see how thick it is, if you want it thicker then in a cup or bowl mix the 55ml water and the 2 teaspoons of cornflour until it looks like creamy milk and then add this to the saucepan, place back on the heat and simmer until it thickens. Keep a very close eye and keep stirring as it will thicken very quickly. If sauce is already thick enough for you, you don't need to add the cornflour and water mix. I always find that different people like their sauces with different thickness so this way you can make it perfect for you!
- Allow to cool in a bowl.
- Then funnel into an air tight glass bottle and keep in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. EASY! Enjoy! :)