We adore BBQ’s in this house, but if you pick up any pre-made BBQ spice mix or sauce in your local supermarket you will see one of the largest ingredients in all of them is sugar. Not great if you are diabetic or following a low carb keto diet. So why not try my version! It tastes just as good and even gives the same charred effect that sugar does when it caramelises on heat.
- 4 tablespoons brown erythritol
(Worried about the carbs in eyrthritol? Then don’t – the carbs in erythritol aren’t absorbed in the same way as standard carbs, read all about it here!)
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons garlic granules or garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder (add more to taste)
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon ground all spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder (optional if you like a bit of heat!)
- Mix all the spices and herbs together in a bowl and store in a air tight container.
- When using the rub, massage and pat the spice rub into meat, chunky cut vegetables and meaty fish, or add a little olive oil to a few teaspoons of the rub and stir to create a paste and leave to marinade for at least an hour before cooking.